Grade 5 Reading Project
Each year the 5th graders at Willard School participate in the Massachusetts Children’s Book Award presented by Salem State College. Each student is required to read 5 books from the list by the end of February break. For each book that they read, they will write a short response and post it to the assignment in Google Classroom. Each student who reads all 24 books from the list will be invited to a special breakfast party in the library.
End of Year Celebrations
A number of activities are organized to celebrate your child’s final year at Willard! Below is a basic outline of what to expect. Committee Chairs will update this space as the dates are set.
Many volunteers are needed to help pull these activities off! Please contact email@example.com if you are willing and able!
SERVICE DAY (half-day Tuesday): Willard 5th grade students will stay at school, eat a bag lunch from home in the cafeteria and then participate in one of four community service projects designed to provide a fun experience giving back time and talents to non-profit organizations in the community.
- Bus transportation will be provided to each service location
- Students will be done and ready for pick-up at Willard at 4 p.m.
MIX-IT-UP PARTY (Friday night in June): To meet and make new friends before middle school, 5th graders from the three elementary schools are invited to a night at Hunt Gym. There is a DJ, games and snacks. No charge but an RSVP is required.
PARENT SOCIAL: We ask that you bring a beverage and light appetizer or dessert to share.
ARTS NIGHT (late May/early June): The evening begins with the Art Retrospective at 6:00 PM. Students, accompanied by their parents, stroll the hallways of Willard viewing clay pieces and the display panels of artwork that each 5th grader prepared for this event. The Art Retrospective is our chance to celebrate the artistic talent of our students and to observe the growth that students have achieved over the years, since every student is able to select art pieces created from their entire elementary school experience.
The evening concludes with the Arts Night Concert in the auditorium featuring the Willard Chorus, Band, and Orchestra.
CELEBRATION DAY: A presentation and slide show will be held in Willard Auditorium at 10:30 a.m. Parents (and if space is available, siblings) are invited. This event will always be held on the second to last day of school.
- SLIDESHOW: A slideshow of pictures of students will be shown at the Fifth Grade Celebration. Photos from Willard events are preferable. Photos should not contain siblings or students from other schools. For best quality, send in the actual size photo, in JPEG, GIF, PNG form and indicate the names of the students in the photos! Please send us any pictures you have taken over the years! A copy of the slideshow is given to each student.
YEARBOOK: Each 5th grade student will have the chance to crete their own yearbook page. PDF format preferable. A baby picture is also requested. Class pictures through the 6 years are included as well as candids, usually taken by a PTG volunteer during lunch recess in the spring. Yearbooks are distributed on the second to last day of school and an autograph session is held on the last day of school.
CLASS T-SHIRTS (available in May/June): a favorite memento!
- T-shirts must be ordered by logging onto the Willard School store website.
- Simply select the 5th Grade Class Tee item, choose your child’s size and enter their name.
- You will need to complete the checkout process, but simply select the “ship to school” option and there is no charge for this item.
“CLAP-OUT”: On the last day of school at 12:25 PM, Willard 5th graders walk out of the building for the last time as a class. The school community gathers along the walkway which circles the playground and everyone will cheer and applaud our 5th graders as they exit the school and make their way to the buses. This is a long standing Willard tradition. Parents and family members invited!